Monday, May 01, 2017

Various whatnots

I'm having one of those spells when I really don't know what to write about on my blog. I feel life is on hold until it gets warmer. It's been so cold lately I really haven't felt like doing anything much, so let me do what I usually do in these situations...just ramble. You are free to leave anytime you feel you've read enough inconsequential burble.

My brain is all over the place with all the unfinished projects that I want to get on with, but you know how it is...'I want' somehow 'doesn't get' (or that's what my mother used to say). For a start, there's the floor in the back cabin of the Vereeniging. No, I still haven't finished it. Awful, aren't I? It all stopped in the autumn when I'd got the sheets of plywood to make it up, but then the temperature plummeted and I've just been looking at it for the past four months (or is it five?) sort of projecting the end result in the hopes it would miraculously finish itself. This week my intentions are good, but I really don't want to go to hell because of them, so I'm not promising myself anything.

The floor before I cleaned it up

Then there's the butterfly or pigeon hatches on the Hennie H (known here as 'koekoek'). I finished one of them before the new year. It needed stripping down, strengthening and revarnishing. It also needed new windows. The other one is just the same except it's taking me much longer to complete. Still, I really am making progress with it because I can do it indoors. In case you're wondering, I made temporary hatches to cover the openings while I repaired the real ones, so no, the HH is not filling up with rainwater as I write. Last weekend, Number 2 looked like this.


It's now received a few more coats of varnish, so it looks much better and richer, but I still need to put some more varnish on it and cut the windows from the perspex we bought - or rather Koos will probably do that as his hand is steadier. Maybe next week I can show you all the finished article...but what was that I said about good intentions?

As for this year's faring, our plan has been to leave on the Hennie H for a long trip east in June...somewhere around the 15th...with the eventual goal being Poland, but I'm applying the intentions rule to that too as I don't know yet if we'll be ready to go by then. Whatever the case, we'll be meandering our way through Germany for much of the summer (I hope) and we'll just see how far we get.

Then there's my writing projects. They are about as tenuous as everything else. I've had this novel set on an African farm as a WIP for ages now, but for some reason I've lost interest in it, which is very unlike me. I hope it (my interest) returns; I'd hate not to finish something I've already written so much of. In the meantime, I've started writing down my memories of the next phase in our African life after African Ways; the part when we moved to a village in the valley...down the mountain, in fact. I'm having some fun with that and I'm writing it on a blog, so if anyone would like to read it while it's in the individual posts phase, just let me know here. I can invite you to the blog. Who knows? It might end up as another memoir, but I'm not risking that fiendish path to Hades again by proclaiming any specific aims...no, no.

Have a good week everyone!


15 comments:

  1. Me too re the blog - I only do about one a month these days, maybe taking a break gives us a chance to recharge, not to mention focus on writing books ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Chris! It's a weird time at the moment, so I hope it means I'm recharging batteries too! Nice to see you :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely post Val, sincere and moving, I'd love to read your blog about Africa, please could you send me the link? You probably just need a bit of sunshine and to read something inspirational and you'll soon be writing away x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, thank you and of course! The only thing is I'll need an email address. I'll send you a message on Facebook if I can find you there.

      Delete
  3. You have, simply put, made my day, Val! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that has made mine too then, Dale :)) xxx

      Delete
  4. I would like to read the blog of memories of Africa. Will PM you my e-mail I don't think you have it. It will be warm soon, Val. And you will be hopping all over your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done, Laurie! Feel free to comment on anything you notice :)

      Delete
  5. Val, I think it'll be no consolation to you, but your current "state" is exactly ours! Horrible isn't it? Weather's part of our problem, too, but I'm sure things will improve for all of us when that sun decides to show itself for entire days! I won't follow your new blog - I look forward instead to reading the book, and its contents being entirely new to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger. It's like limbo with apathy, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. I know exactly what you mean by that 'in between, slightly dissatisfied' feeling - it's when I have to be really careful or I find myself buying a flight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, very tempting, Jo! But I have a feeling you have other things on your mind at the moment too!

      Delete
  7. I am very envious of your pigeon hatches, they are lovely. Yes please, I would love to read your new blog and new stories xxxx

    ReplyDelete