Monday, February 20, 2017

Getting to Know Me

I was tagged in this fun blogger tagging thing by the terrific Terry Tyler you can read her post here

Apparently I need to answer these questions with some random facts about me (or is it the questions that are random?). Anyway, I have to answer the same questions as Terry, and I'll tag four more bloggers at the end, so they can do a post with their answers, too. It sounds fun, so thanks TT!!

Share your profile picture
This is the one I'm using at the moment... I should change it really. Someone told me recently it didn't look like me at all, so there you go. I shall remain a mystery :)



Who are you named after?
I was named after a lady called Valerie Benyon Tinker who was my brother's Godmother. I have no clue what was special about her, but I think my mum liked Valerie because it's a French name and my mother's father was French (or so I'm told!).

Do you like your handwriting?
Yes, actually. When I was at primary school, we used to have to practise handwriting and I loved it. I still have to write quite a bit as I need to mark and comment on student assignments, so I do my best to write nicely in proper cursive. Yes, I do.

What’s your favorite lunch meat?
I don't know what this means. I don't eat meat anyway, but if the question is about what I have for lunch, then it's usually something with cheese and bread. I'm a cheese addict.

Longest relationship
The current one for sure. It's been sixteen years now. I was legally married for longer, but the relationship faltered a long time before that. This one makes me laugh and that's the most important thing in life for me!

Do you still have your tonsils?
Yes and no. I've never had them removed, but apparently they've disintegrated because no one can find them anymore. I used to get tonsilitis a lot so the theory is they sort of crumbled away. I don't miss them at all.

Would you bungee jump?
No. I'd jump out of an aircraft though if I  had the chance. Does that count? And I'd love to go ballooning, but bungee jumping? Not on your nelly.

Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
 I mostly wear boots with zips. I'm really lazy about shoes, and like them to be easy, but when I wear my takkies (South African for sports shoes), I don't bother to untie them, no.

Favorite ice-cream?
Sorry. I never eat it. It doesn't like me!

What’s the first thing you notice about people?
Their eyes. I need to see genuine warmth there.

Football or baseball? 
Neither. I only like cricket and Formula 1 racing. From the sublime to the ridiculous, hey?

What color pants are you wearing?
If you mean trousers as opposed to my undies? Then okay I'm wearing jeans. I always wear them at home. Not sure you'd want to know about my undies anyway. They're not what you might call mantraps...I need the jeans to stop them falling down...haha!

Last thing you ate?
Cheese! Good old Dutch Gouda. Yum! As I said somewhere further up, I'm a cheese addict.

If you were a crayon what color would you be?
Oh goodness. I've no idea. Why a crayon anyway? I love green, and turquoise, and I like wearing sort of russet colours. Will that do?

Favorite smell?
Fresh bread; fresh coffee. I just love the smell of the earth after rain too. Sorry, that's three smells.

Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone?
I never ever talk to anyone on the phone if I can help it, so I can't remember. And that's the truth. It's been so long since I spoke to anyone other than in person or online that the only phone call I can recall was with this Dutch insurance guy who grilled me for an hour about my life insurance. I was in a proper linguistic tangle by the time he'd finished with me, which is probably why I remember it. But since then? No recollection.

Hair color?
Well, when I was young, I had really dark wavy hair, but going grey early runs in the family, so I've been completely grey since 35 and completely white since I was about 50.  Such is life!

This was when I was first in SA in my twenties

Eye color?
Brown...sort of dark brown. Not as distinct as it used to be..haha. You know that saying 'rheumy eyed'? Well since the cataracts, that's me :)

Favorite food to eat?
Vegetables with grated cheese and pepper (that cheese again).

Scary movies or happy endings?
I don't watch movies. Sorry. Well, I used to, but haven't done for years. In the past I liked quirky, humourous films; my favourite was Local Hero. Still is come to think of it.

Last movie you watched?
I really can't remember. It was probably Local Hero! Or maybe that brilliant, wacky French film Bienvenue Chez  Les Ch'tis (with subtitles of course). I remember liking that a whole lot! It was a long time ago, though.

Favorite holiday?
Last summer's cruising on our barge in France. Just the fulfilment of all my dreams! Before that, a holiday in the Namibian desert stands out.

Beer or wine?
Wine. I don't drink anything else alcoholic.

Night owl or early bird?
Night owl. I'm just awful in the morning. Always have been. I wish wish wish I could get up early and be bright and fresh, but I've never been able to do that. I'm really not nice to know first thing.

Favorite day of the week?
Monday. Yes, it's true! Mainly because I don't like Sundays. They always make me feel depressed somehow. I can't wait for Monday to come round.

Three or (four) favorite bloggers you want to learn more about?
I have a lot of favourite bloggers, so this was difficult, but these four spark my curiosity more than most :)

Who were the last three people to follow your blog?
I don't know two them, but I'm very grateful they've followed me! Two ladies called Sal and Ivy, and then there's the special Julie Watson who I know from Twitter. She's lovely.


21 comments:

  1. This is a lovely interview Val, really fun and cheerful, thanks for sharing, thank you for tagging me, what should I do ? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just copy and paste the questions from here, Angela, and then fill in your own answers! I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

      Delete
  2. Gosh I think that you have a great deal of patience Val because I absolutely loathe questionnaires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in truth, I do usually but this was fun because the questions were so odd :)

      Delete
  3. That was fun, Val, now I know a lot more about you. I don't eat meat either, and like some cheese each day. There you go - twins! I like your profile picture, very chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. The good thing about profile pics is that most people don't notice them. This one's been the one I've used for well over a year now, but it's normally so tiny you don't see it :) I'm glad to hear you are a fellow veggie and cheese fan. Go us!!

      Delete
  4. Muy interesante, Val!!! Aha, you hate talking on the phone, too. Anyone aside from Julia or my dad, I rarely answer. Rude, but there you go. I just text them and say, sorry, missed your call.

    How can you live without films??? Ha ha - oh, you have a barge... yeah, I suppose I'd be the same! Glad you tagged Caryl, look forward to reading hers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that with the phone too, TT! I just don't answer. My phone is on silent most of the time anyway. I'll text as long as you like but I won't chat on the phone. I just don't have the patience for watch films now. I'm too hyperactive, I think. I'm always thinking of what else I could be doing!

      Delete
    2. Actually, the hyperactive thing doesn't make sense because I can sit and read a book all day!! But yes, the barge thing does make a difference :)

      Delete
  5. ps, also, love that rain on dry ground thing. Also, the smell in the air before it arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! You can get the scent of it in the air! Luvverrrrly!!!

      Delete
  6. Such lovely quirky details, Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a bit of fun, Jo, but very off the cuff!

      Delete
  7. What fun, Val! Love the questions and the witty answers. Well done...as always. Well done runs in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Stephanie! Wit is where the will is and you have a great will for it! :)

      Delete
  8. Great answers, Val :-) I’m enjoying reading these posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! Me too! have you done one? I keep looking for more of them...such fun!

      Delete
  9. I don't like Sundays either. I think it's because nothing much happened on Sundays, shops were closed, etc. It was just so inconvenient even going out on the bike and then not being able to buy a drink somewhere if you needed one.... or, (as usually happend) you forgot to bring one along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Jenny, I'l glad I'm not the only one! Sundays have always had an air of tiredness about them for me.

      Delete
  10. Great fun! I actually see you as the colour Sienna - warm & nurturing, with tones of the African Sun & the brightness of European Sun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post:-) I love the smell of earth after the rain too, and wearing jeans...and drinking wine :-)

    ReplyDelete