A couple of weeks ago, Mo and Craig moved off the Vereeniging and onto their own ship the Marion Aagje. The wonderful part of that is that I get the Vereeniging back again, and also have the chance to give it a new look before moving back on board.
This last week, I've been gathering tools and material ready for the big smoosh up, but yesterday, I hit the first glitch. Unfortunately, the water pump had sprung a leak and because it is hidden behind a wall, no one noticed it. The water seeped inexorably under the insulation beneath the carpet, through the floorboards and below to the bottom.
Yesterday, while I was sanding the floor, getting it ready to be painted, I found the results. Sadly, a couple of the floorboards have rotted, so today was spent firstly buying some new wood to replace them and secondly, extracting a very soggy board and some even soggier insulation that was underneath it. Now, I shall leave it all to dry out before replacing the two boards that are affected. Luckily the weather is warming up so I'm hoping it won't take too long.
The photos below are ones Koos took just before we took up the rotten wood (strange to see it so empty), but you can see the patch I have been prodding at!
Here is a photo of what it looked like before I handed over to Mo and Craig.
Watch out for Stage 2 next week.....if I get the time, that is. Somehow, I don't think I'm going to be rushing this job. It's great not to have to live in the mess while I'm doing it!